Guide: Kota Tinggi Waterfalls, Resort, Nearby Food, Attractions & Firelyflies
Every month has a lot of travelers from Singapore would like to have some natural and outdoor activities, definitely, lots of out customer request the trip to Kota Tinggi Waterfalls too.
There are many waterfalls in southern Malaysia, but none of them beats Kota Tinggi Waterfalls in terms of its sheer beauty and majesty.
Running all year round, and with the adjacent facilities and what else you can do there; it has become a must-go place when visiting this part of Johor. (If you are looking for GREEN and Johor ECO trip)
Falling in a valley over rocks, the water comes down from the mountain known locally as Gunung Muntahak.
Malaysians and visitors from Singapore who do not have much in terms of waterfalls in their country form the largest. It is for this reason that its popularity has soared and weekends and public holidays are busy days at the falls.
Top Attraction In Kota Tinggi Waterfalls
- There are two falls: the first one nearest to the entrance is a fascinating cascade falls with dammed pools at the bottom where one can have a leisurely swim. Further on is the other free fall that thunders down the valley which is accessed through a lovely walkway.
- The road from the town of Kota Tinggi to the falls is very scenic; you will enjoy the ride which acts as a curtain raiser for the beauty of the falls.
- There are dammed pools where you can swim and cool down on hot days. The falls area has an abundance of nice spots where you can have a picnic.
- There is a lodge, Kota Tinggi Waterfalls Resort nearby which you can use as a weekend getaway from all the hustle and bustle of urban life.
- Its rural countryside setting makes it attractive to nature lovers.
- The abundance of birdlife makes Kota Tinggi Waterfalls a birdwatchers’ paradise.
How To Go To Kota Tinggi Waterfalls
From Johor Bahru, Kota Tinggi Waterfalls are about 60 kilometers away. They are just 15 kilometers from the nearby town of Kota Tinggi.
If you are visiting Kota Tinggi Waterfalls from Singapore or from Johor Bahru, you will need good, reliable and safe transport.
The best way to get is by hiring private taxi. This allows you to be picked from your residence or hotel, to be taken to the waterfalls and every other place along the way that you may fancy and be brought back when it is all over.
Using an experienced taxi service like SGMYTAXI.com takes your mind off the road and allows you to enjoy the whole ride and scenic landscapes that Malaysia has to offer.
Useful Info For People Travel To Kota Tinggi Waterfall
- Avoid visiting after heavy downpour, strong currents from top may sweep you away.
- Avoid drinking the water from waterfall.
- Water is deeper in man-made pools than in waterfall.
- Avoid jumping into waterfall. You might land on rocks which probably get yourself injured.
- There’s possibility of strong currents under the pool of water.
- Walk slowly and carefully on rocks as they are extremely slippery.
- You can rent tubes for water slides.
- Climb up to the highest part of waterfall for a more scenic view. But be careful as the pathway is slippery and narrow.
- They provide no shower facilities but small rooms for changing clothes.
- You can wear your everyday clothes or swimming wear here.
- Food stalls are available near entrance.
- Other activities you can do at Kota Tinggi Waterfalls are camping, hiking and picnic.
- Try hiding yourself under the cascading waters, it’s fun!
Kota Tinggi Waterfall Address
01 49.81, 103 49.96
Kota Tinggi Waterfall Opening Hours
Daily (including School & Public Holiday): 8:00am – 7:00pm
Kota Tinggi Waterfall Ticket Price/Entrance Fee
Normal: RM 15 / MyKad: RM 7.50
Normal: RM 10 / MyKad: RM 3.50
Kota Tinggi Watefall Map
Best Bak Kut Teh & Seafood Restaurants in Kota Tinggi
Before or after visiting Kota Tinggi Waterfalls, you can visit nearby restaurants to fill your tummy. After that, you can visit other attractions places near Kota Tinggi Waterfalls such as Firefly Valley Leisure Park, Kota Tinggi Museum, Desaru Fruit Farm and etc. There will be nothing more welcoming like a good, fresh, tasty and authentic meal and washed down with fine drinks. There are two great restaurants you will find the great food.
1. Kiang Kee Bak Kut Teh Restaurant (NON-Halal)
Just by JB to Mersing trunk road you will find the Kiang Kee Bak Kut Teh Restaurant. It is a roadside restaurant famous for its food which is cooked on traditional pots over charcoal stoves. The unique taste of the food and the simple ambience create the perfect mix for a good stop-over in a sightseeing trip.
Also read: 7 Best Bak Kut Teh In Johor Bahru
- The pork dishes here are too delicious to describe. You will need to taste them in personto enjoy the best that can come from well prepared pork.
- The aroma of traditional herbs welcomes you to the restaurant long before you get to it.
- The staffers are friendly and attentive.
- The food is served straight out of the pots on charcoal stoves; always comes piping hot as it should be.
- Service is fast and the prices are reasonable for the fare you will be served with.
- The thatched and patterned roofs give a cool ambience and allow the cool breeze to waft in.
2. Sengat Seafood Restaurant
Not far from Kota Tinggi town is another fabulous restaurant, this one specializing in seafood. Set in the heart of Teluk Sengat village, you will not miss it; it is right opposite the basketball court, or you can just ask, everybody knows it.
Also read: 11 Top Seafood Restaurants in Johor Bahru
The building hosting the restaurant is built on the crest of a small hill. This makes for a great view of the serene Johor River and the relaxed life of the village. The biggest attraction here is the food.
- The food is great! It is worth setting aside an hour or so from your trip to savor the culinary delights offered at this restaurant.
- The prices for the food are very reasonable, especially if you consider that the seafood is freshly caught and well prepared by experienced hands. The presentation too adds to the appeal.
- The service is good and orders are quickly served.
- The cool ambience and open spaces allow a cool breeze in from the river.
- Among their famous dishes include: Sweet sour crab, Steamed sea bass, Butter lobsters and many more. All these dishes will be served with fresh vegetables and drinks.
Where to Stay If You Travelling to Kota Tinggi Waterfalls
If you intend to stay for a night or more near Kota Tinggi Waterfalls, there are some Kota Tinggi hotels or resorts you can choose from. Below are the two best resorts you could consider if you want to enjoy a night stay.
1. Kota Tinggi Waterfalls Resort
A short walk away from the famous waterfalls is a lodge going by the same name. It is a place where you can stay if you have not had enough of the waterfalls and the surrounding attractions.
You can also stay at this resort if all you want is a quiet time away from it all. The natural surroundings and the tropical air are good for the body and mind.
- You have a wide choice of rooms to select from in different designs in Kota Tinggi Waterfalls Resort; there are 58 rooms and chalets. The rooms, though basic, are clean, airy, quiet, and comfortable and the windows open up to lush garden views.
- Guests can enjoy free entrance to Kota Tinggi Waterfalls
- Two restaurants cater for your culinary needs. The resident chefs have expertise in local delicacies which you will love.
- There are conference, meeting and banquet rooms.
- The rates are affordable
- There is an outdoor pool
- You can enjoy watersports in the lodge
- You will find English speaking staff
- Other facilities include: daily maid services, barbeque facilities, garden, hiking, Water Park, gift shop and free parking.
- It is a friendly place for families and groups of young people.
2. Kota Rainforest Resort
The rustle of leaves, the chirping of birds, the faint shrill of insects and a gentle breeze on your face are what gives you a sense of peace and tranquility, away from the noisy city, the maddening traffic and the daily routine of work and life.
This is no less than what you will find in the serenity of Kota Rainforest Resort inside the tropical rainforest reserve at Kota Tinggi.
It is the perfect place for relaxation and recreation for you, your family and your friends or colleagues.
Kota Rainforest Resort is easily accessible; it is just an hour’s drive from the Johor Bahru Causeway and not far from Kota Tinggi town.
- The lodge is designed in a traditional form to give the feeling of life as it was when things were much simpler. This is the feeling of being in a tropical setting where the sun shines and the birds sing every day.
- The setting could not be more magical; all around are trees, mountains and rivers.
- Accommodation is in fully furnished and air-conditioned chalets which are fully self-contained. The wooden furniture is made to custom to reflect the overall theme of the resort.
- The restaurant here will keep you well fed with the provision of all meals following Asian and Chinese menus. For group activities, buffet meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner, can be arranged, as are barbeque dos at the riverbank.
- Recreation: There is plenty to do for all people, children, teens and adults at the resort. You will find pool tables, Mahjong rooms, soccer, beach volleyball, mountain climbing, river cruises, hiking, cycling and many more.
- Event hosting: Kota Rainforest Resort has a magnificent open air hall for gatherings. There are also conference rooms and meeting rooms. There are also ample facilities for team building.
- There is plenty more to do around the resort including visiting the famous Kota Tinggi Waterfalls close by, great restaurants in Kota Tinggi town for local food and seafood, crocodile farms and much more.
Attractions Near Kota Tinggi Waterfalls
1. Teluk Sengat Crocodile Farm
In Australia, they call them salties. They are also known as salt water crocodiles or Crocodylus Porosus if you prefer their scientific name.
These are the crocodiles that you will find at the Teluk Sengat Crocodile Farm, a family run crocodile farm near Kota Tinggi in the Johor region of southern Peninsular Malaysia.
A true Malaysian crocodile hunter, Mr. Ng runs the crocodile farm with a tradition of handling crocodiles passed on from his father and grandfather.
This makes him a third generation crocodile hunter. To get close to these huge reptiles, include the Teluk Sengat Crocodile Farm in your itinerary.
An hour’s drive from the Causeway in Johor Bahru or twenty minutes away from Kota Tinggi will get you to this fascinating crocodile farm.
- There are more than a thousand crocodiles on the farm. Watch them in near perfect natural habitat. Not to be missed is the feeding time. Look out for the really old snapper, all of 130 years old lazing somewhere in the sun.
- Enjoy the thrill of getting real close to the crocs as you might not anywhere else in Asia and beyond.
- Do not pass the opportunity to go deeper into Mr. Ng’s farm to see the really big snappers. Take a picture for the memories, just don’t get too close!
- Learn all you can about crocodiles, their habitat, eating habits and their interesting lives from Mr. Ng and his wardens.
- There are souvenirs you can take with you to help you and your family to remember your visit to the Teluk Sengat Crocodile Farm.
2. Desaru Fruit Farm
Desaru fruit farm is an award-winning 100 acre farm where over 100 tropical fruits are grown with the agricultural best practices to produce some of the best tropical fruits in Malaysia and beyond.
Malaysia Agriculture, Horticulture and Agro-Tourism (MAHA) award solidified the farm as the place to go when you want to see, learn and appreciate Malaysia’s rich agricultural heritage when it comes to indigenous fruits.
How to get to Desaru Fruit Farm from Johor Bahru? Well, it is about an hour’s drive from Johor Bahru to Desaru Fruit Farm via Lebuhraya Senai-Desaru/E22 or Lebuhraya Senai-Desaru/E22 and Route 17.
If you are getting from Singapore to Desaru Fruit Farm, you can use Lebuhraya Senai-Desaru/E22 to reach Desaru Fruit Farm. The journey may took about 1 hour 30 minutes.
If you prefer to use the North-South Highway, use the exit at Pasir Gudang and drive on to Kota Tinggi and further on to the farm another 40 kilometers away.
- See, feel and taste the finest fruits in the region courtesy of Desaru Fruit farm. The king of all traditional Malaysian fruits, the durian is grown here abundantly, and so are other traditional fruits like water guava, honey orange, jackfruit and soursop. This is in addition to numerous other tropical fruits.
- Learn about their fascinating farming practices which yield such succulent fruits free from disease and deformation.
- A great place for urban children to learn that the fruits they love so much come from trees and shrubs rather than supermarket shelves.
- Buy some fruit to take with you home or to enjoy for the rest of your trip in the region.
3. Sungai Lebam Wetlands – Fireflies
Sungai Lebam Wetlands is well known for the magical lights of the fireflies that come alive in the night. Watching the millions of blinking lights from the lightning bugs, as fireflies are also known as, for the first time is described by those who have experienced it as one of the moments you will remember all your life. While they are harmless to humans, there ecosystem is rather delicate and it will be responsible to leave them well alone.
Their preferred habitat seems to be the near the Berembang trees in the vast mangrove swamps in the protected wetlands. Avoid visiting on rainy nights as the fireflies prefer dry nights to come out with their lights on.
An hour and a half at the most should get you to the Sungai Lebam Wetlands from Johor Bahru and a little longer if you are coming from Singapore or Senai International Airport.
Do not leave the children behind on this trip; they will always thank you for it.
4. Canopy Tribes – Glamping in Kota Tinggi
There is always something about a camping trip that makes it memorable for years and years. Imagine this kind of trip and all the luxuries that you can find to it. It will sum up to the best camping holiday you have ever had.
Set deep inside a tropical rainforest only three kilometers from the well-known Kota Tinggi Waterfalls, you will experience the pure joy and peace that comes with country living, fresh air, plenty of birds and fabulous food and drinks to complete your perfect holiday.
- Luxurious Bell Tent services for a classy and elegant accommodation.
- Service is personalized while it endeavors to keep your privacy intact.
- Enjoy true charcoal fired grilled meals right by your tent and fine drinks to your order.
- There is mountain climbing at the nearby 513m Gunung Panti.
- A birdwatchers paradise; the rainforest boasts of more than 250 bird species.
- Karaoke nights at the bar.
- Fishing for your diner at the lake.
- Trek through the rainforest with its rivers and streams of clear water
- Take a night boat ride to enjoy the magical sight of millions of fireflies.