Would you like to go camping where you do not have to look for a suitable spot, or to waste your first hour pitching tents and wondering where the bathroom is?
Then, you should try glamping! Short from ‘glam camping’.
You can now experience the essence of camping, but well within your comfort zone.
Some of the world’s most exclusive glamping sites are accessible across Malaysia.
Glamping allows you to experience nature as if you are truly camping, with a touch of luxury and ease.
Experience glamping: your new way of camping.
Gamping that comes with luxury additions to what most people understand camping to be.
And today’s post, I’m going to share with you the 7 famous glamping sites in Malaysia where you can enjoy the comforts of home.
Check it out!
Glamping Sites In Malaysia
1. Caravan Serai, Pahang
Caravan Serai is one of the leading glamping sites in all of Asia. It competes favorably with other top glamping sites in wider Asia and Australia. It is a fantastic location in Pahang Darul Makmur, only a fifteen minutes’ drive from Bentong town.
Also read: 14 Caravan Parks in Johor (Malaysia’s First Ever Caravan Park)
It is only 45 minutes by road from Kuala Lumpur. The site, deep inside a natural forest is a favorite among people who like to have a good dose of luxury when they are out of the trodden path and camping somewhere surrounded by nature. Apart from the forest, there are fruit orchards, lovely hills and rivers that flow with the slow and grace pace of the exclusive place.
Here you will receive the authentic Malaysian hospitality at its best in this secluded location where you can have the perfect getaway with family and friends, or a retreat for lovers in need of a great place to have some time alone to bond and relax.
There are two main types of accommodation here:
- Deluxe Safari Tent: In this tent, you will find a comfortable Queen sized bed, air-conditioning, basic and functional furniture and standing fans. A bathroom is also attached to your tent.
- Caravan Suite: This is a suite you will be hard pressed to believe that it is in a jungle. It comes with a King Size bed and the necessary high quality beddings; it has attached to it a carpeted living room and a modern bathroom with all amenities including hot water heaters. The suite face natural features and the luxury here is unequalled.
What to do
- The site has a fully functional restaurant which can sit 130 comfortably. Here you will have delicious Malaysian dishes as well as an international menu.
- Nature walks
- Team building
- Treasure hunting
- ATV (All-Terrain Vehicle) rides
- Volleyball and many other activities.
2. Canopy Tribes, Johor
Would you like to experience the magical outdoors of Malaysia in a tented camp where you do not have to pitch a tent yourself, or generally have to go through all the rigors of setting up camp and building a fire?
Canopy Tribes is you ideal location for glamping. Here, you will have your own Bell Tent amid natural surroundings. The camp is set just a few minutes’ walk from the famous Kota Tinggi Waterfall. The tents are pitched in an unspoiled rainforest where you will find rolling hills, rivers, valleys and an amazing collection of birdlife.
Canopy Tribes is a place where the whole family will have a good time. Even a group of friends or colleagues will have a fun and activity filled retreat here.
The campfire is one that you should not miss for any reason; lots of laughter and the telling of interesting stories is the order of the day. The BBQ will provide the best bush dinner you will probably have in your life, even the children are catered for here.
Accommodation at Canopy Tribes is in large Bell Tents which come with proper lighting, BBQ unit just next to the tent, quality bathrooms and toiletries.
What to do
There is plenty to do at Canopy Tribes. Some of the activities here include:
- Evening walks to the lake nestled in the forest, just a short walk away.
- Visiting the Kota Tinggi Waterfall, just a short walk away too.
- There is cycling
- Safe kayaking
- Firefly cruise
- Nature walks
- Bird watching at the Panti Bird Sanctuary
- Visiting local orchards and sampling fresh tropical fruits
- Visit the Ostrich farm nearby
- Visit a crocodile farm with plenty of crocodiles
3. Sailor’s Rest Resort, Janda Baik
The air is always cool, fresh and crisp all year round. This is because the resort is set right on Malaysia’s Titiwangsa Mountain Range which is a good 600m above sea level.
Also read: Pulau Kukup Travel Guide
The mountain air is purified by the mountain breeze which rustles through the tropical rainforest, unadulterated by man for eons and eons. The area boasts a rich collection of flora and fauna.
The birdlife here is an ornithologist’s paradise. It is the perfect place to seek refuge from the stressful city life, especially if you are coming from the coastal cities where the sun can be really hot.
The resort is only an hour’s drive from Kuala Lumpur to the Northeast. You will use the E9 highway out of town, on to the Lebuhraya Kuala Lumpur to Gua Musang/E8 and the on to Route 68 at Kampung Bukit Tinggi. Take the exit to Janda Baik. From there it is just a short drive to the result.
For glamping purposes, there is a camping site right within the resort where you can have a fabulous time with your friends or family in a unique outdoorsy atmosphere.
You will find quality tents equipped with good firm mattresses together with warm and cozy comforters. In the section you will find clean toilets and hot shower facilities.
For those not inclined to glamping, there are chalets and a bungalow where you can spend the night.
What to do
- Trekking to the Waterfall: A fun filled activity that takes about 40 minutes. Enroute, you will have breathtaking views of the mountain ranges. You can also opt to pass through the traditional village of Orang Asli via a longer route for the more ‘outdoor’ people.
- The river walk: Take a walk on the river by stepping over the rocks and negotiating the easy rapids. Good for adult and teen exercise.
- River bathing: The shallow pools and slow flowing river and gentle rapids make for a great day at the river. An illuminated night bath is something you will remember for a lifetime.
- More: Plenty of other fun and games for both adults and kids.
4. Japamala Resort, Tioman Island
In Pahang, Malaysia, the state to the east of the peninsula lies the Tioman Island. It is an inhabited island that sits 32km from the coast. The tropical island is 20 km from north to south with an average width of 12 km.
Here, you will find Japamala Resorts, a fine tropical and seaside island resort. Here, you will be free of the hustles of the city. You will find the best glamping accommodation and fun-filled activities to add to the enjoyment of this fine resort.
To get to Tioman Island, you will take a taxi from either Singapore or Johor Bahru and travel northeast to Mersing or from Kuala Lumpur to Mersing to the southeast. From the Mersing coast, you will take a boat ride to Japamala Resorts which are on the west coast of the islands.
Your sleeping and living quarters here will be something out of this world, literally! This is because your chalets will be high above the lush jungle below, perched on trees. Oh, the breeze, the sea views, the birds chirping and the crickets singing all night long! Wonders of nature. This is what awaits you at your choice island glamping resort.
What to do
This is one glamping site where you will never suffer from boredom. There is so much to do. Some of the activities you will find here include:
- Scuba diving
- Beach dives
- Night dives
- Adventure dives
- Village excursions
- Marine park tours
5. Tanah Aina Faha in Ulu Dong, Raub, Pahang
Tanah Aina Fahad is a resort deep in the jungle near the famous waterfalls of Lata Jaram. It is a good place to relax and enjoy the lush green forests, waterfalls and the rivers. Nature lovers will find a paradise here as there is so much to see and do.
Just 21/2 hours from Kuala Lumpur by road, you will enjoy the great scenery from the forests and the mountains. Be sure to carry your camera because the picturesque drive to Raub is one you will want to remember for a long time.
The resort is a mixed resort with different sections for different accommodation plans. The glamping section is the best for nature lovers as you will be fully in touch with nature.
What welcomes you here is the gentle roar of the driver rushing downstream and to think that you will have your fabulous tent just close by is quite intriguing.
With water insects hopping about and the numerous birds flying around and chirping happily, your retreat will be complete.
Being high from the sea level, the air is cool and fresh all year round. The treks into the jungle and river hikes will do you a lot of good too.
At Tanah Aina Fahad, the glamping section features luxury tents with basic amenities. They are comfortable and warm at night. Outside, the views of Sungai Dong dominate your skyline. With the river just next to you, the setting could not be better thought out.
What to do
- A nature walk is what you will have the moment you step out of the tent. There is a lot to see in terms of the flora and fauna.
- Jungle trekking
- Camp fires
- Leap of faith games
- Waterfall visits
- Live bands
6. Walai Penyu Resort, Sabah
For the lovers of ecotourism, you have a place to go glamping now. This is at the Walai Penyu Resort, Sabah. Of prime ecological importance of this island is the hatching of endangered turtle eggs. Thousands of turtles land here to lay their eggs.
It is a spectacle that all nature lovers will cherish for life. The staff at the resort can make arrangements for you to go watch the turtles. You can even help to release the hatchlings to the sea and you will have played your part in making this world a better place.
About 24km from Sandakan Airport is where the resort is. The beaches are pristine; the weather nicely hot apart from the monsoon season when the resort is closed.
The area is just like the famed south pacific islands full of sun, sand and romance. Sip your drinks at the terrace, or feel the soft sand under your toes, you will relax and recharge fully by the time your vacation comes to an end.
The tents at Walai Penyu Resort are clean, well-organized and close to the ocean. The hum of the waves as the tide comes in will calm you as will the breeze from the sea. Your tent will have clean linen at all times, bottled water and basic furniture. The bathrooms are shared and hot showers are available at all time.
What to do
- Lots of swimming
- Beach Walks
- Turtle watching
- Sunbathing Eco-tours in the hinterlands
7. Tadom Hill Resorts, Selangor
It is hard to believe but it is true that within ten minutes of leaving the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, you will find yourself in a tranquil resort where you will be one with nature.
Tadom Hill Resort in Selangor offers some of the best glamping you can find in Malaysia. The resort is only ¾ of an hour from Kuala Lumpur city.
The resort is set in an idyllic location; forty acres of natural space with forest, lakes, rivers and imposing limestone hills. Nature walks here are nothing you have experienced in the areas near Kuala Lumpur and beyond.
This resort is self-sustaining ecologically. You will find that all the structures are made from bamboo harvested in the resort. Bamboo grows fast and so there is always bamboo to harvest at all times.
- Garden Tent Site: Uniquely designed tents to kame an elegant camping
- Hammock Spheres: Relax your body on hammocks made from parachute material as cool air wafts in from the sides and starlight shines through the skylight
- Lakeside Tent Site: Comfortable tents set high overlooking a tranquil lake.
- Bamboo Glamp: This is an ongoing expansion program expected to be complete by the last quarter of 2016. It will include some tastefully designed bamboo chalets for the ultimate glamping experience.
- The Tadom Groove: A man-made recreational area where there are live shows and a fully functioning bistro.
- Water and Tarzan swings and many more activities.
Private Hire Taxis
Getting to all the glamping sites will need transport, even where the journey will be completed by boat. To enjoy these trips to the fullest, you will need to find a transport service that will fit into your program and not you fitting yourself to their schedules.
SGMYTAXI vehicles are 7-seaters; spacious for a family or a group of friends plus their luggage. When on a field trip, you can stop anywhere you want for refreshments, lunch, photos or just to take in the scenery.
This is because you are your own masters on the road. This is unlike buses or trains which only stop at scheduled places. Moreover, if you are going glamping from Singapore, you will not need to leave your car for immigration and customs processing. All these will be done with you seated right in the car.
The drivers at sgmytaxi.com are well trained and they are dedicated to keeping their customers satisfied all the time.