All packed up to go for a dive or you’ve always wanted to get a diving license but doesn’t know where to go?
Tioman Island is the next destination in your to-dive list!
Listed as one of the most beautiful islands in the world, it is best known for its famous scuba diving spots filled with sponges, sea corals and shipwrecks.
Here, we’ve provided the complete guide to diving in Tioman Island that you definitely do not want to miss.
Pack your bags and get ready to dive!
Tioman Diving Season
So, now you know one of the best islands to dive but do you know the suitable season for a dive?
Tioman Island, like the rest of Malaysia is a tropical country with low humidity, hot weather and occasional rainfall throughout the rest of the year. It is best to ensure the right season to dive.
1. November till February
- Monsoon Season.
- It brings strong waves and unusually high tides during those time.
- Diving is not allowed.
2. March till October
- Dry Season
- The warm water in the seas brings out the richness of the marine life.
- Possible to dive
3. Mid March till May and September till Mid October
- Best time for diving.
- Best visibility ranges from 15m to 30m.
- Water temperatures range from 27- 29°c
Tioman Dive Sites Map
Below is the map of the common dive sites around Tioman Island. This will give you some information of the whereabouts of the dive site and help to plan your trip effortlessly.
5 Best Dive Sites Around Tioman
Do you yearn to be surrounded by beautiful coral reefs and a wide variety of fish?
With so many dive sites for divers to choose from, catering to each interest; from macro diving to wreck explorations for advanced divers- you’ll be spoilt for choice! Do not miss out the best activities to do in Tioman Island!
So, you’re not sure which dive sites you should explore? Here’s what you must not miss with 5 best dive sites in Tioman, just for you!
Also read: Top 15 Best Dive Sites In Malaysia
1. Tiger Reef, Salang
No divers should ever miss this because it has the most impressive reefs in the area.
It is home to an abundance of beautiful hard corals, soft corals, sea fans, sea sponges and small critters attracting thousands of fishes that macro divers will fall in love.
2. Renggis Island
One of the top famous dive site and it can get really crowded. A magnificent array of beautiful corals hard and soft- surround the reefs, in a symbiotic relationship with the aquatic life (moray eel, angel fish, puffer fish and sting ray).
Also, you may spot some sea turtles and black tip reef sharks. This site is usually used for training dives and night dives due to its rather low depths.
3. Chebeh Island
Another one of the fantastic dive site, suitable for all levels of divers, the formation of rocks and underwater scenery will leave you in awe.
Home to a school of barracudas and trevallies and some sightings of manta ray and whale shark during the migration season (around April and October).
4. Labas Island
This site has many wondrous caverns around, thus depicting a piece of Swiss cheese- like a maze, one can swim through the deep trough or glide along with the dense corals.
As you go deeper into the site, you may spot turtles, sharks and angel fish.
5. Sawadee Wrecks
A former Malaysian Navy Warship was sunken in 2012 to create an artificial reef alongside two old fishing vessels (Sawadee Wreck), home to families of lionfish, pufferfish and also a tiny octopus.
This dive site is more suited for advanced and leisure divers, where the large openings allow divers to enter and explore the wreck from the stern to bow.
So, remember this best dive sites so you won’t miss any of the spectacular views underwater.
5 Best Dive Centre In Tioman
Are you eager to jump into the sea now after getting to know the beautiful dive sites?
Wait… you’ll need scuba tanks, scuba mask, a diving suit and a license! Where to get all this stuff, you may ask?
Here it is, the 5 best dive center that provides all your necessary diving equipment that is readily available- hassle-free!
1. Dive Asia
The first PADI 5 star Instructor Development Centre on Tioman Island.
Price Starting From:
SGD$50 @ MYR 150
All course prices include PADI learning materials, equipment rental and PADI certification GOLD card.
Dive Centre Highlight:
- Provide fun dives such as; boat dives, day and night dives, shore dives.
- PADI Recreational Dive courses; Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Rescue Diver.
- PADI Specialty courses; Enriched Air Diver, Deep Diver, DIGITAL Underwater photography, Sidemount Diver, Search and Recovery Diver
- PADI Technical courses; Tec 40, Tec 45, Tec 50, Advanced Sidemount Diver, Tec Gas Blender.
- PADI Professional courses; Divemaster, Instructor Development.
- PADI Combo courses; PADI Open Water + PADI Advanced Open Water, PADI Open Water + Nitrox, PADI Rescue Diver + EFR + Oxygen Provider.
2. Amigo Dive Centre
The only 5 star PADI dive center located at the east side of Tioman Island.
Price Starting From:
The prices have not stated on the website. You may contact them directly to get a better price list.
Dive Centre Highlights:
- The only dive operator on the east side of the island.
- The less explored dive sites are suitable for macro divers.
- The dive sites ranged from shore, rocky slope, sandy slope and submerged reef.
- PADI Discover Scuba, a course for ‘Introduction to Scuba Diving’.
- PADI Recreational Dive courses; Open Water, Advance Open Water, and Rescue Diver.
- PADI Specialty courses; Altitude Diver, Night Diver, Underwater Photographer, Enriched Air Diver, Search and Recovery Diver
- PADI Professional courses; Divemaster, Instructor Development, Rescue Diver, Master Instructor.
- Has inbound and outbound dive tours
- Provide snorkelling trips.
3. B&J Dive Centre
The oldest dive centre in Tioman Island and provides technical wreck diving.
Price Starting From:
SGD$70 @ MYR 200
For more info on the price list, click on the link: divetioman.com/rates-packages/dive-gear-pricelist/
Dive Centre Highlights:
- Provide dive course packages that include accommodation.
- Provide a list of accommodation and able to assist in booking for you.
In Air Batang
- Tioman Dive Resort (own accommodation)
- Tioman House Bungalows
- Cozy Inn
- Fiqthya Chalets
In Salang Bay
- Salang Pusaka Resort
- Salang Indah Resort
-> Offer PADI courses, Children Scuba Diving, Fun Dive, Tec Diving Courses, PADI Professional Courses, and CCR Rebreather Course.
-> Exploring the wrecks around Tioman Island in deep water between 55m and 69m depth.
- HMS Repulse
- HMS Prince of Wales
- Submarine 016
- Submarine KXVII
- HMS Banka Minesweeper
- MV Seven Skies Supertanker
- Aur Tanker
4. Tioman Dive Centre
A renowned diving centre that not only offers a full range of diving course but also leisure diving.
Price Starting From:
SGD$ 38 @ MYR 115 (leisure dives)
SGD$ 92 @ MYR 280 (PADI courses)
Dive Centre Highlights:
- Offers a full range of diving courses.
- Offers 20 spectacular dive sites for leisure diving.
- PADI Bubblemaker designed for young children aged between 8-9 years old.
- PADI Discover Scuba designed for beginner divers and to experience diving.
- PADI Scuba Diver course, an alternative to Open Water Course if you’re short on time.
- PADI Recreational Dive courses; Open Water, Advanced Open Water, and Rescue Diver.
- PADI Professional courses; Divemaster
- Provide a list of accommodation options but you will need to book them by yourself.
- Swiss Cottage Resort
- Cheers Chalet
- Tioman Cabana
- Coral Reef Resort
- Babura SeaView Resort
- Persona Island Resort
- The Berjaya Resort
5. Bayu Dive Centre
A youthful dive centre that features a look at the Snake Eels (Ophichthidae) in their natural habitat.
Price Starting From:
SGD$14 @ MYR 40 (leisure dives)
SGD$50 @ MYR 150 (PADI course)
Dive Centre Highlights:
- Provides leisure dives that includes; shore, boat and night dive.
- There’s a range of PADI courses to choose from: Discover Scuba, Open Water Scuba, Advanced Open Water, Rescue Diver and Emergency First Response and last but not the least, Divemaster.
- Get the chance to admire snake eels during one of the shore dives.
- Offers course packages that includes accommodation so you don’t need the hassle to find on your own.
- When you book one of the packages, it includes ferry return trip from either Tanjung Gemuk or Mersing Jetty to Kampung Genting Jetty (excludes Marine Park tax).
Tioman Diving Course Package
Do not know which diving course is suitable for you? PADI, the world’s largest recreational diving and dive training organization provide a wide range of courses from beginner to instructor level.
Here we have enlisted a few courses that cater to suit different requirements.
Also read: Rawa Island Packages: Which One Should You Really Pick?
PADI Recreational Dive Courses:
- PADI Discover Scuba Diving
Price range: MYR 250 – MYR 350
- PADI Open Water Course
Price range: MYR 1,200 – MYR 1,350
- PADI Advanced Open Water Course
Price range: MYR 900 – MYR 1,150
- PADI Rescue Diver
Price range: MYR 900 – MYR 1,500
- PADI Emergency First Response
Price range: MYR 400 – MYR 460
At the same time, PADI includes dive courses for those who wished to take a step further to become an instructor or work as a career.
The price of a divemaster course is range about MYR 3,500. You may contact the dive centre directly for further inquiry on other professional dive courses.
PADI Professional Dive Courses:
- PADI Master Scuba Diver
- PADI Instructor Development Course
- PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor
- PADI Specialty Instructor
For the bold and adventurous, and ready to discover wrecks lying at the bottom of the sea. Here are some special diving courses for you.
PADI Specialty Dive Courses:
- PADI Technical Diving Courses
Price range: MYR 300 – MYR 2,000
- PADI Closed Circuit Rebreather Course.
Price range: MYR 800 – MYR 5,000
- PADI Deep Diver
Price range: MYR 750– MYR 800
- PADI Wreck Diver
Price range: MYR 800 – MYR 850
Some courses require you to acquire certain skills and certificates.
For example, the Rescue Diver Course requires you to have the skillset and certificate in both; Advanced Open Water Diver and Emergency First Response.
You may contact the dive centre for further information on the type of course that interests you.
The island may be a stone throw away but you definitely can’t swim all the way there! Getting to the island itself still requires a ferry or a speedboat.
There are two jetties in Mersing that travels to Tioman Island; Tanjung Gemok Jetty and Mersing Jetty, but the journey from Singapore to the jetty has many different options which we’ve opted for your convenience.
1. Private Car From Singapore To Mersing Jetty
Hiring MPV taxis has been one of the best travelling options. Everything that may be inconvenient is well taken care of by the private car company. Your safety and comfort are guaranteed by them.
Advantage of Using Private Car Service:
- Direct transfer services between Singapore and Mersing.
- Hassle-free, without the need to get down from the car at immigration.
- Pick-up at any preferred time and date.
- Pick-up at any preferred location in Singapore and drop-off any selected location in Mersing.
- Non-sharing rides.
Disadvantage of Using Private Car Service:
- Costly if travelling alone or less than 3 people.
Private Car Recommended For:
- Group of friends with 5 or more people.
- Families travelling with younger children or elderly.
Private Car Price Range:
SGD$90-100 per car. For more info, please click here. https://www.sgmytaxi.com/rates/
Types Of Private Car:
- Toyota Innova (7-seater MPV)
- Toyota Alphard (8-seater MPV)
- Hyundai Starex (10-seater MPV)
There’re many other private car companies offering the same transfer service. But what makes us, SGMYTAXI different from them?
We are the leading private car company and here are the benefits of riding with us.
Experienced and friendly drivers:
- Familiar with all the roads in Singapore and Johor Bahru.
- Drivers are punctual and keep on track with customer’s schedule.
- Practice all safety procedures.
- Vehicle thoroughly checked before travelling.
- Able to avoid traffic congestion at all cost.
Comfortable & spacious
- Ample legroom
- Large luggage capacity
No additional or hidden cost after reserving the taxi.
How to book private taxi/private car:
- Whatsapp SGMYTAXI customer support directly
- or Fill in reservation form
- Click here How To Book for the step-by-step booking procedures.
Hassle-free, flexible and convenient- what’s more to ask? So, hurry, make your booking with us!
2. Coach From Singapore To Tioman Island (via Tanjung Gemok Jetty)
If you’re travelling on a budget, there are other options that don’t burn a hole in your pocket and are equally comfortable too.
Here, 3 operators that schedule coaches to Tanjung Gemok Jetty from Singapore.
We highly advise alighting at Tanjung Gemok Jetty because it has more stable ferry schedule compared to Mersing Jetty and they’re only 40 minutes apart.
The time taken to travel doesn’t differ much from self-driving and you should be able to arrive at your destination within 4 hours from Singapore.
No matter which coach you pick, you’re advised to arrive at the coach departure station at least 30 minutes before the departure time. Similarly, for return trip too!
Step 1: Take Coach From Singapore To Tanjung Gemok Jetty
(i) WTS Travel Coach
Singapore to Tanjung Gemok Jetty: SGD$30 – SGD$35/person
Tanjung Gemok Jetty to Singapore: SGD$20 – SGD$25/person
Tanjung Gemok Jetty
5:00pm depending on tidal condition
(ii) Discovery Tours & Travel
Singapore to Tanjung Gemok Jetty: SGD $25/person
Tanjung Gemok Jetty Singapore: SGD$25 /person
Tanjung Gemok Jetty
(iii) The One Travel & Tours
Singapore to Tanjung Gemok Jetty: SGD$36.50/person
Tanjung Gemok Jetty Singapore: SGD$36.50 /person
Golden Mile Complex / Boon Lay
06:15am (Golden Mile Complex) / 06:45am (Boon Lay)
Tanjung Gemok Jetty
Step 2: Take Ferry From Tanjung Gemok Jetty To Tioman Island
Once you’ve arrived at Tanjung Gemok Jetty, you will need to take a ferry to Tioman Island.
The one highly suggested ferry operator is Cataferry.
Also read: Why choose Cataferry to Tioman Island is worth you every dollar!
Book your ticket in advance to avoid any frustration. You may book it online to secure your tickets. Check the Tioman ferry schedule to plan your itinerary and ensure you have a smooth journey.
Ticket price over the counter:
One way: MYR 35 (adult) / MYR30 (child)
Note: Extra discount if you book online for new brand Cataferry.
3. Bus From Singapore To Tioman Island (via Mersing Jetty)
Another popular option for travellers to travel from Singapore to Mersing is by bus. These buses provide more timeslot, especially for those who prefer to travel at night.
The night schedule is suitable for those who wish to catch the first ferry the next morning, but you’ll need to stay one night in Mersing.
There are 2 operators that schedule buses to Mersing Jetty or Mersing Bus Terminal from Singapore.
Step 1: Take Bus From Singapore To Mersing Jetty
Singapore to Mersing Bus Terminal: SGD$33.90/person
Mersing Bus Terminal to Singapore: SGD$16/person
The Plaza at Beach Road
9:00am, 7:00pm, 10:00pm
Mersing Bus Terminal
Note: 6 mins walk to Mersing Jetty from Mersing Bus Terminal
3.2 Starmart Express
Singapore to Mersing Jetty: SGD$38.58/person
Golden Mile Tower / Boon Lay
6:31 am (Golden Mile Tower) / 7:31 am (Boon Lay)
With so many online booking sites, you can get yourself a preferred seat (aisle, window, single seat) and avoid any disappointment. You may book them in advance at the various sites; redbus, catchthatbus, myexpressbus, easybook and busonlineticket.
Step 2: Take Ferry From Mersing Jetty To Tioman Island
When you arrive at Mersing Jetty, you’ll come across a Bluewater Express ferry that will bring you to Tioman Island.
Also read: 9 Jetty, Port & Ferry Terminal In Johor
This is the most affordable and easiest way to get to the island with only 1.5 to 2 hours ride!
Secure your booking online to avoid any delay or disappointments. However, there is a surcharge of 10% admin fee or more when you book online.
Alternatively, you may purchase the ticket over the counter.
One way: MYR 35 (adult) / MYR30 (child) 2-11 years old
To plan your itinerary and ensure you have a smooth journey, do check out the Mersing to Tioman Island ferry schedule.
2. Self-Drive From Singapore To Mersing Jetty
If you prefer to drive to Tanjung Gemok or Mersing Jetty yourself, the journey is pretty straight forward.
The time taken to travel from Singapore to the jetty takes an average 3.5- 4 hours, depending on the traffic conditions, time and season.
You can either drive your own car from Singapore or rent a car from Malaysia. Although, it can be strenuous to drive long hours and requires you to pay the parking fee and petrol, but driving is leisure (to some).
From Singapore, you’ll head over to Woodlands and cross the immigration. Once you’ve cross the border and entered Johor, use the EDL highway instead of Jalan Tebrau so as to avoid any traffic congestion.
From here on, look out for the direction that leads to Kota Tinggi and then to Mersing. Follow that direction and you’ll soon see the signs directing you to Tanjung Gemok. Once you’ve reached Tanjung Gemok, you’ll be able to find the signs leading you to the jetty.
After a few minutes, you’ll find an open space carpark at the jetty where you can park for MYR10 per day.
Route: Singapore –> Woodlands Causeway –> Johor Bahru –> Kota Tinggi –> Mersing –> Tanjung Gemok –> Tanjung Gemok Jetty.
Toll Fees, click here: Singapore & Malaysia Toll Fees
Parking fee: MYR 10 per day
Duration: 3.5 to 4 hours.
8 Useful Tips Before Diving In Tioman Island
- Always plan your diving trip few weeks before arriving in Tioman because the dive centres need to make all the necessary arrangements to appoint a dive master for you, hence planning everything beforehand is vital.
- Enquire for more information, the friendly crew of each dive centres are always ready to assist. Speak to them over the phone or via email if you’re unsure which dive course you’re able to take.
- It is better to book a full board package such as ready-made packages that include lodgings.
- Some dive centres provide a list of accommodations that are within easy reach of the centre itself.
- If you’re wearing glasses, it is best to have a special goggle with prescription lenses so you can have a clear vision of the underwater world. Unfortunately, not every dive centres in Tioman have it, hence is easier to purchase it at a dive shop in the mainland before heading to Tioman.
- The availability of ATM are scarce and credit cards can only be used in certain areas. Instead, cash is widely used in the island, so make sure to prepare enough cash in MYR currency.
- If you’re not used to the movement of the boats when it crashes into the waves- seasick- you can inform the dive instructor and they will provide some anti-motion sickness pills. However, please notify the instructor if you have any allergy.
- Tioman is a duty-free zone where tobacco, alcohol and chocolates are much cheaper than mainland.