Kukup is a fishing village built on stilts and located in Pontian district in Johor Bahru.
Fisherman is the main job of the residents here.
Popular for a day trip, Kukup is often occupied with tourists during weekends.
Malaysians and Singaporeans love to fill their weekends moments in this relaxing and comforting village.
There are plenty of interesting activities which can only be enjoyed here.
There’s something magical about Kukup.
Enter here and it can make your stay lingering in your memory for a long time after you depart.
And in today’s post, I’m going to share what we found with you. Below is the list of post content. Check it out!
How to Get to Kukup from Singapore
1. Singapore to Kukup by Private Car
Trip to Kukup is a bit tiring from Singapore as it’s a long way journey. You may have to switch your vehicles or to get into a ferry in order to reach the destination. Somehow, it is quite hassle and inconvenience if children and elderly come along with you.
To overcome the problems above, SGMTAXI.com, the leading private taxi company in Singapore, is now catering a direct trip from Singapore to Kukup. The fleets offered, Toyota Innova and Toyota Alphard, are extremely comfortable.
These vehicles can accommodate up to 7 people. The pick-up point could be any place in Singapore. Apart from that, their drivers are expertly trained to ensure your journey a pleasant one. Such a wonderful transport services costs you SG$140, including the toll fee SG$10. Any services you wish to experience, they try their best to provide.
You can book online for private car service or through phone.
2. Singapore to Kukup by Bus
Buses are offered for budget travellers. In the town of Singapore, take the MRT to Kranji MRT Station where bus services to Johor are offered.
Then, board Causeway Link CW1 to Larkin Bus Terminal in Johor Bahru. The bus will arrive in between 15 to 30 minutes.
The bus fare to JB costs SG$1.50 and return fare costs RM1.90. Please take note that you have to clear the immigration twice.
When you reach Larkin bus station, switch your bus which heads to Pontian. After that, take a taxi and you will reach Kukup in 30 minutes.
Also read: How To Go To Johor Bahru From Singapore
1. Kukup Island National Park
Approximately 1km off the coast of Kukup, you can find Kukup Island which is the hideout place of pirates in old times.
On 31 January 2013, Kukup Island was granted as RAMSAR site by Ramsar Convention (an international treaty which conserves wetlands). Later in 1997, it was declared as a protected national park in Malaysia.
Kukup Island National Park is a wetland which homes to wide array of unhabitated mangrove trees.
There are submerged plants, underwater flowers, floating water plants and swamps that you hardly seen before. This unique habitat comes along with various species of wildlife such as wild boars and mudskippers.
2. Kukup Fishing Village
Kukup Fishing village, which is also called Kukup Laut, is an ancient fishing village with history over a century. The village was built on stilts right above the sea.
There is only a jetty that connects the village to land. Since the number of tourists has been increasing gradually, many of the houses in the village were designed and changed to resorts and chalets.
The jobs of residents as fishermen and fisherwomen have been passed down from generations to generations. Many tourists visited here just to witness their daily lives.
Kukup Fishing village is popular for its cheap and fresh seafood. Fishmonger, restaurant and hawker stall owner would come here to bid for fresh seafood at the best price.
It’s also a great place for fishing. For fishing enthusiast, they will have good time sharing fishing experiences with local fishermen. Besides, visiting fish farm, sightseeing and boat-touring are some of the activities offered here.
3. Kukup Kelong
Trip to Kukup Kelong (Fish Farm) is normally included in the package offered by every resort in Kukup. The resort will arrange a boat transfer to the fish farm from the jetty.
There is a big net in the fish farm to capture sea creatures. All the captives are put in gigantic fish tanks. Here, you can find putterfish, horseshoe crabs, eels, mudskippers, prawns, jellyfish, stingrays and etc.
The farm offers a close distance to look at these cute sea creatures. You can also touch them if you want.
4. Tanjung Piai
Tanjung Piai Johor National Park is a well-known tourist destination in the southern part of Peninsular Malaysia.
It is mostly made up of mangrove and mudflats. As the park is wholly guided by wooden boardwalks, visitors do not have to worry about walking through the swampy mudflats.
There are information boards along the walkway, where visitors can gather the details of the habitat in the park. When the visitors reach a globe-shaped monument, they know they have arrived at the southernmost point in Peninsular Malaysia.
5. Pontian Wholesale Fish Market
Pontian Market is known as a fish market and fish bidding market. This is the place where fishermen sell their harvest.
Regardless of the weather, the market is continuously selling different types of fresh fishes. Sometimes, extremely huge fishes and pretty rare fishes can be found here.
Around 10:30am in the morning, the market will be flooded with fishmongers, seafood restaurant’s workers, hawker stall owner and customers.
They come to bid for the fresh fishes. There are restaurants opposite the market where customers can request the restaurants to cook up the fishes they have purchased.
Kukup Resort Package
1. Kukup One Day Trip
- Depart early in the morning either by bus or private car.
- Upon arrival, board a traditional boat ride that brings you to Pulau Kukup National Park. After that, the boat will brings you to the Kelong Fish Farm to see a wide variety of fishes like sea bass, Archer fish, Puffer fish, jelly fish, flying fish & etc. If you like bring home some dry seafood, you can get them there!
- Lunch at local restaurant.
- After lunch, buy some local products to share with your relatives or friends.
- Head back to Singapore either by bus or private car.
2. Kukup 2 Days 1 Night (2D1N) Trip
- 11:00am – Upon Arrival, Check In At Resort/Chalet
- 12:00pm – Lunch At Chalet/Restaurant
- 3:00pm – Tea Break
- 6:00pm – BBQ Dinner (satay, squid, prawn, fish, otak-otak, fruit, beverages)
- 8:00pm – Program Begins, Mahjong Session, Dacing and KTV, Enjoy fireworks and Kongming lanterns, Karaoke & etc (No Time Restriction)
- 10:00pm – Supper
- 7:30am – Breakfast, after breakfast free at own leisure
- 9:00am – Kukup Island National Park Tour, Visit Kukup Kelong (Fish Farms), Buying Local Products
- 12:00pm – Check Out & Lunch At Chalet/Restaurant.
Most Recommended Kukup Resorts & Chalet
Fill your holidays moments joy and fun with angling activities, seafood hunting experiences, karaoke party and a lot more in Kukup.
It has been proven as one of the favourite destinations among the seafood lovers. Even though Kukup is developing rapidly in these few years, still, it remains its originality as a typical fishing village.
The resorts in Kukup are built over water. A long jetty is the only way that links the resort to land. Therefore, the accommodations offered are often called “On the Water Chalet Houses”.
There are many chalets available with doors and windows that open onto the wide blue sea, thus offering unparalleled privacy and serenity.
Both of the exterior and interior of the resorts are concisely designed to suit the simplicity of the village.
The rooms come with television, en-suite bathrooms, complimentary toilet amenities, kitchenette, air conditioning and even karaoke system and mah-jong set for entertainment.
Most of the resorts offer 2 days 1 night tour package which include transport, lodging and food. However, some imposes additional charges on chartered car to and from Singapore.
For lunch and dinner, there’ll be a fantastic seafood treat at famous open-air seafood restaurant and at BBQ sites respectively. For breakfast, simple yet delightful local dishes are served.
You will be visiting the floating fish farms and experiencing fishing during the tour. At night, simply enjoy bonding time with family or friends through singing karaoke or playing mahjong in the chalet. Here, you will find time passing more gleeful than anywhere else.
1. Kukup Rainbow Resort
- Well-equipped chalets that come with television, bunk beds, hot shower, mineral water, karaoke room and table tennis.
- Offers perfect sea views
- RM100-150 per person
- Transportation to jetty is provided
- Light meal is served upon arrival
- Seafood BBQ dinner (Highlight cuisines: Grill pickle chicken wings)
- Boat tours to fish village and mangrove forest
2. The Mangrove Floating Chalet [红树林]
- Comfortable and clean
- Two multipurpose halls for parties and family events
- 19 rooms which can accommodate up to 80 people and 31 hotel rooms
- Fishing is available at doorstep
- Karaoke room with wide selection of songs
- Boat trip to fish farm and mangrove forests
- Seafood meals and seafood BBQ
3. Kukup Ocean Resort
- 6 well-equipped bedrooms and 4 bathrooms
- Meals offered: Breakfast: nasi lemak, malay kuih, mee and many more
Lunch: seafood lunch
Hightea: Homemade fried tofu and fried prawn
Dinner: BBQ seafood dinner or seafood steamboat
- Island tour
- Local products shopping
- Boat trip to mangrove swamp forests
- Fishing, playing mah-jong, singing karaoke and riding bicycle
4. Kukup Ayer Masin Holiday Resort [海上冷气度假屋]
- A few affordable packages include ferry transport to resort
- Owns 4 stilt houses and a multi-purpose hall
- Large space in front of the house for team bonding activities
- Sunset view is extremely stunning
- Breakfast, Seafood lunch, hightea, BBQ dinner, and supper
- Body massage, foot reflexology, manicure and pedicure are available
5. Kukup Blue View Resort [龟咯蓝玻璃海上渡假屋]
- Friendly staff to provide warm hospitality
- Suitable for large group of families or friends
- Lanterns and fireworks
- Rooms feature: television, double decker beds, sofas, karaoke lounge, mah-jong sets, kitchen and bathroom
- Meals at seafood restaurant and BBQ dinner
- Able to hold different themes of party and large events
6. Kukup Colourful Resort [七彩缤纷文画村]
- For Singaporeans, transport to and fro the resort is provided.
- Pulau Kukup and fish farm visits
- KTV lounge, DVD player, mah-jong tables are available
- Beautiful night views can be enjoyed at rooftop of resort
- Offers beautiful lightning at corridor of chalet
- 5 meals include fruits and desserts
7. Pee Song Shan Kukup Holiday Resort
- Two-storey chalet with 10 bedrooms which accommodate up to 100 person
- Accommodations feature: WIFI, fridge, heater, card game set, mah-jong, air-conditioning and KTV
- Package include return transportation to Kukup from Singapore
- 5 meals provided
- Net fishing
- Large open space for interesting team activities
- Kongming lanterns and fireworks
- Island tour, local products shopping and fish farm visit
8. Kukup Bay [咸水湾民宿]
- RM150 for adults and RM100 for children, kids below 4 are free of charge
- Rooms are stylishly furnished and well-equipped with modern amenities
- Staff are extremely nice and friendly
- Special arrangements are made for disabled
- Dart board machines, pool tables and karaoke are available
- Water dispenser is available
- Wide space for families activities
- 5 meals per day
9. Kukup Hao Qin Resort [豪勤冷气度假屋]
- Modern bungalow with well-equipped room facilities
- Transportation to jetty is provided
- Scenery offered is perfect for photoshooting
- Ideal for family gathering and friends reunion trip
- Provides evening BBQ, karaoke system, LCD TV with Astro channel, and mah-jong entertainment
- Yacht visit to fishing grounds
- Seafood meals provided
10. Kukup Xiang Holiday Home
- Located near the end of Kukup
- Comes with 8 rooms (4 sea view room & 5 standard room), bathrooms, shared kitchen and balcony
- Plasma TV with Hi-Fi, leather sofa and special lightning in living room
- Offer recreational facilities such as bicycle rental, fishing, massage and fitness center.
- 4 meals per day (seafood BBQ and seafood lunch)
- Kukup Kelong Visit
11. Kukup Beijing Resort
- Offers 3D2N package and 2D1N package
- Service team is always available
- Resort can accommodate 50+ people and each rooms can accommodate 4-8 people
- 5 meals per day (Steamboat and BBQ included)
- Boating and Kukup Kelong visit
- Foot massaging experience
- Ideal for cooperate retreats and family gatherings
- Large family events and singing competition can be held here
12. On The Sea Kukup Chalet
- Located at the corner of Kukup
- Transport service is available
- Chalet facilities: KTV room, concourse, bedrooms, outdoor and indoor activities area and washrooms
- Activities offered: Firework, Fish farm visit, Pulau Kukup National Park visit, karaoke, ping pong, mah-jong, pool game and playing bicycle
- Boating sightseeing experience
- 5 meals per day
13. Starlight Bay 星光灣
- RM150-180 per person
- New, spacious, clean and comfortable
- Can accommodate 60 people and more
- Offers cartoon themed hotel rooms such as Hello Kitty, Doraemon and Mickey Mouse
- Breathtaking sea views especially sunset
- 6 meals provided (2 seafood lunch, BBQ, breakfast, supper and hightea)
- Kongming lanterns and fireworks
1. New Kukup Restaurant
Fronting the sea, New Kukup Restaurant is the oldest built-on-silts seafood restaurant in Kukup. It’s clean, well-maintained and you can even enjoy the stunning sea views while dining in here.
Whatever seafood you desire, be it plums, fishes, prawns or crabs, you’ll find here. The seafood are cooked in various styles of your choice. Appetizing side dished can be ordered here too. Never forget to try their signature drink – iced lime juice with plum, which has a well-blended sour and salty taste.
What to Do in Kukup
1. Play Mahjong & Cards
- Mahjong is provided for adults.
- No additional charges are imposed at the mah-jong set and playing cards provided.
- Feel free to request more sets of playing cards and mah-jong if it’s not enough.
- A cheerful activity which is good to enjoy for all no matter the age.
- Can be enjoyed throughout the stay.
- Most of the chalets come with VOD computerized Karaoke System.
3. Watching mudskippers & crabs during low tide
- Watch mudskippers (walking fish) and crabs in a close distance and discover how they survive, how they move, how they eat and even how they feed on prey.
4. Kelong tour
- Visit to Kelong (fish farm) by taking boat from jetty.
- Boat arrangement will be made by resort.
- Great to fish lovers as lots of fishes can be found here.
- Fish eaten at restaurant or BBQ are normally from here.
5. Sunset watching
- Sunset at Kukup is considered one of the best in Malaysia.
- Numerous ideal spots are offered to watch sunset.
- Never forget to take pictures of this beautiful scenery.
6. Fishing at your doorstep
- It’s possible to fish at the balcony as all chalets are built over sea.
- Bring your own fishing rod or pay RM10 to rent one.
7. Visit Pulau Kukup National Park
- Located at Kukup Island, the mangroves swamps here are one of the biggest in the world.
- Different kinds of flora and fauna can be found.
- Entrance fee is RM5 per person.
8. Kong Ming Lanterns
- Get to enjoy at a very cheap price if wind condition is favourable.
- Originated from China which were used by soldiers during wars.
- Write down your wish on lanterns. Who knows, your wish may come true.
9. Seafood BBQ
- Highlight dishes: Special Marinated Chicken Wings.
- Fish, Otak-otak, Satay, Squid, Fishball, Sausage, Sweet Potato, Prawn Cracker, fruits…
- Steamboat dinner is available as well.
- Enjoy colourful and amazing fireworks with your dear ones at night.
- It makes your trip a memorable one.
- Enquire the staff to get the fireworks.
11. Body & Foot Massage
- Helps you to release stresses.
- Leaves you soothed, relaxed and restored.
- Some resort does not include massage in their packages, so kindly inform the staff if you need it.
12. Enjoy local home cooked food & seafood
- All the seafood you desire, they can cook for you.
- They will cater to your every culinary need.
- Get to enjoy home-like dishes and it’s extremely delicious.
- Seafood can be cooked in various styles of your choice.
13. Nintendo Wii
- Book with the resort in advance as they need to prepare for it.
- Can be enjoyed alone or in a team based on the games.
- Bonding time with friends and family.
- Can be tiring as it requires a lot of movements. However, it is an interesting activities.
Kukup Golf Resort
Set within 312 acres of grasslands, Kukup Golf Resort satisfies your joy of golf with their 18 holes golf course.
Atsumi Kawase, an outstanding golf course designer from Japan has designed the panoramic golf course which was inaugurated in 1993. Exciting water hazards, bunkers and unlimited round of golf await you to challenge them.
Kukup Golf Resort is located in Pontian, Johor, which can be reached within 45 minutes’ drive from Singapore. Stay at their villas enveloped in lush nature and is well-equipped with modern conveniences to complete your golf fun.
After full day of golfing, dine and rest in their Café Terrace Restaurant. It offers fine dining experience by serving exquisite tastes of local and western delights in its elegant atmosphere.
Besides golf course, Kukup Golf Resort features lap pool, spa, VIP lounge, fitness centre, playground, squash court, tennis court, tennis table and a lagoon pool. Take advantages and pleasure in enjoying the facilities offered. It makes your dream vacation becomes real.