15 Options and 15 Places to Visit for JB One Day Trip
Last Update October 31st, 2016
For residents and visitors to Singapore, a day trip across the border to JB, Johor Bahru is always a must-do plan.
Whichever way you get there; by taxi cab or by public bus (recommended transport service at the end of post), Johor Bahru has plenty of places to make sure that the trip is worthwhile.
Here are some of those destinations that visited by our customers.
- Desaru Beach + Seafood Lunch at Sungai Rengit +( Teluk Sengat Crocodile Farm or Desaru Ostrich Farm)
- Desaru Fruit Farm + Desaru Beach + Desaru Ostrich Farm + Super Lobster Restaurant
- Teluk Sengat Crocodile Farm + Desaru Fruit Farm (Farm Tour/ Mini Zoo/ Bee Talk) + (You may also consider to go Kota Tinggi)
- Lotus Desaru Beach Resort + Desaru Beach + Seafood Dinner at Sungai Rengit
- Desaru Fruit Farm + Teluk Sengat Crocodile Farm + Dinner at Kota Tinggi + Kota Tinggi Firefly Park
- Teluk Sengat Crocodile Farm + Desaru Ostrich Farm + Desaru Beach + Dinner at Sungei Rengit Seafood Restaurant
9 Options Johor One Day Trip You Can Refer To:
- UK Farm Kluang + Kluang Food Tour
- Angry Birds Activity Park + City Square Shopping Mall + Jalan Wong Ah Fook+ Jalan Tan Hiok Nee
- Hello Kitty Town + Thomas Town + Dinner at Puteri Harbour Restaurant +JPO
- Austin Heights Water & Adventure Park + Jusco Aeon Tebrau City Shopping mall + Dinner at Mount Austin
- JB Shopping Tour (JPO + Bukit Indah Aeon + Tebrau City Aeon + City Square + JBCC Komtar)
- Legoland Malaysia + Johor Premium Outlets (JPO)
- Kota Tinggi Kiang Kee Bak Kut Teh + Kota Tinggi Waterfall + Firefly Valley Leisure Park
- Jalan Tan Hiok Nee + Jalan Wong Ah Fook + Sultan Abu Bakar Mosque + Johor Old Chinese Temple + Arulmigu Sri Rajakaliamman Glass Temple + City Square Shopping Mall
- One Day Trip at Kukup (+ Tanjung Piai)
8 options Johor 2D1N Trip You Can Refer To
- LEGOLAND Water & Theme Park + Hello Kitty Town (Puteri Harbour)+ Thomas Town
- Kukup Kelong + Tanjung Piai + Kukup Island National Park + Pekan Nanas
- UK Farm Kluang + Zenxin Organic Park
- Sabak Awor Resort
- Endau Rompin Johor National Park (you can stay longer)
- Gunung Lambak – Kluang UK Farm
- Desaru 2D1N Trip (MOST POPULAR)
- Kahang Organic Rice Eco Farm
7 Options Johor Island 3D2N Trip You Can Refer To
- Tioman Island
- Rawa Island + Pulau Harimau + Pulau Gual + Pulau Mensirip
- Sibu Island
- Tinggi Island
- Tengah Island
- Dayang Island
- Besar Island
1. Jalan Tan Hiok Nee (features many food and retro cafes)
Named after one of the most iconic fathers of Johor Bahru, Jalan Tan Hiok Nee is a street in the older section of the city. It features many food and retro cafes as well as antique shops.
Unlike most of the rest of the city, Jalan Tan Hiok Nee Street features old colonial buildings which you cannot miss since the architecture is unmistakable.
- Johor Bahru food trail. Here you can take a food tour of the famous street while sampling some of the finest and authentic Malaysian cuisine. The food trail is a popular activity here.
- Chinese culture is evident all over. From the quaint shops and cafes to the shop fronts and items on display.
- Open air Karaoke performances
- You can try your hand at a game of Chinese chess right on the street
- Eh He, the art gallery containing art depicting the history of the Chinese people and culture in Johor Bahru over the years.
2. Johor Bahru Old Chinese Temple
Johor Bahru Old Temple, as it is referred to by the locals is a Chinese temple which was built in the 19th century to honor 5 deities that were considered venerable by the Chinese community then.
It is one of the oldest remaining structures of that era in Johor Bahru’s history. With its red and white façade, you cannot miss it, neither can you fail to notice the peculiarity of its location as it is set amidst modern skyscrapers. It is an interesting detour from your day trip to Johor Bahru.
- One of the main attractions is the annual Parade of the deities which is held in the first lunar month. The Chinngay, as it is known attracts thousands of people every year and it is one event you should mark on your calendar if you are interested in matters cultural.
- There are exhibits telling the history of the Chinese speaking people in Johor Bahru
- There are various statures you can see depicting the Chinese deities of five different dialects of the first Chinese inhabitants of Peninsular Malaysia.
3. Princess Cove Johor Bahru
The Princess Cove represents the finest Marina Living experience there could possibly be. It captures the HOPSCA (Hotels, Offices, Parks, Shopping Malls, Clubhouses and Apartments) concept in great detail. The Cove has all the modern attractions of perfect living and shopping.
Whether on business or pleasure, the Princess Cove will offer you great shopping, fine dining as well as banks and other business activities.
In fact, you can work and play in premises right next to each other making your day trip a profitable and a memorable one as well.
- Modern living
- Shopping from luxury stores
- Stunning sea views
- Green areas for recreation and relaxation
- It is near major educational institutions. If you happen to be visiting any of them, you will find a good place to rewind after a day’s work.
4. Istana Besar (Sultan of Johor)
Istana Besar is the Royal Palace that housed the Johor royal family in years gone by. Sultan Abu Bakar built it way back in 1866 as his abode. The imposing white structure could not have been set in a more special location as it proudly faces the straits of Johor.
- A visit to Johor Bahru is not complete until you visit the Royal Abu Bakar Museum. It is a fine collection of exhibits which include priceless heirlooms, artifacts and other items which explain the Royal Family’s history and influence in this part of Malaysia.
- A grandiose stairway to the palace will make any picture worth a second look.
- The pool at the palace is worth a look-see too. The shimmering ripples will sooth your spirit and make your day at the palace a memorable one.
- The greenness of the palace grounds is a good place to relax and for children to play.
5. Little Red Cube (Puteri Harbour)
On a day trip to Johor Bahru from Singapore, there is one destination that you need to visit, especially if you are a family with kids.
This development which fronts the marina at the Puteri Harbour has everything you would want if you wanted to have a mix of good entertainment as well as a good shopping spree.
The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming and all are mesmerized by the hospitality they find at Little Red Cube.
- 150,000 square feet of retail space is fully occupied for your shopping pleasure.
- Unforgettable views of the harbor and the Straits of Johor that will take your breath away.
- The home to Sanrio Hello Kitty Town, Thomas Town – your children will always remember you for this.
- The Little Red Cube is also the home to Little Big Club
- You will also find the Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts operated Traders Hotel at the Little Red Cube.
- Entertainment for all ages and tastes
- Great food and drink joints to satiate your hunger and thirst after a good round of shopping and fun at the Little Red Cube.
- Close by are other hotels and entertainment places where you will not feel like leaving.
- It is only five minutes’ drive from Legoland Malaysia, another entertainment spot in the Johor region.
6. Legoland Malaysia + Water Park Inside
It features multiple rides and amusement activities and it is a popular place with day visitors from Singapore. It is situated at Nusajaya which is within the Iskandar Malaysia economic zone.
- Over 40 rides which are interactive in nature
- The water theme park is children friendly and children will love it for the features it has that were tailor made to keep children active and happy.
- Plenty of clean areas selling affordable food and drinks
- Great service from the staff
- Very safe with life savers strategically placed in case of any mishaps
- Laser blaster games will keep the kids occupied and interested throughout
- LEGO City will amuse everyone to no end where you get your driving license to drive cars and ‘fly’ planes all over.
- If tired and exhausted, there are endless attractions and amusements to keep everyone occupied.
- The Legoland Hotel has fabulous restaurants and bars for your food and drinks. It also has special children’s facilities. Somerset Medini Nusajaya is another option for one night stay as it is just 10 minutes walk from Legoland Malaysia.
- Plenty of parking
- Affordable tickets and value for money.
7. Angry Birds Theme Park (JBCC)
The Angry Birds Theme Park in Johor Bahru Malaysia is an amusement park based on the Angry Birds theme. It is a major attraction very near the causeway to Singapore. Day visitors from Singapore are quite common here due to its accessibility.
With great attractions for both adults and kids, fans of Angry Birds will have the time of their lives. Even if you are not really into Angry Birds, you will have plenty to do at and around the theme park.
- Daily Angry Birds shows with different sessions all through the day and evening
- Plenty of food and refreshments available
- Fun filled days for adults and children
- Late closing allows for more time to enjoy the available amusements
- Great shopping and dining places in the vicinity
- Easy to access for visitors from Singapore
8. Jalan Wong Ah Fook
Your food hunting journey begins at Jalan Wong Ah Fook, the busiest one-way road where plenty of hawker stalls and restaurants locate.
The road is all about good food and it is proud at catering to every meals you desire.
With merely 10 minutes’ walk from City Square, you get to sample different local delights, desserts and western dishes at affordable price.
9. Arulmigu Sri Rajakaliamman Glass Temple
Arulmigu Sri Rajakaliamman Glass Temple is the centrepiece of Hinduism, serving as the first Hindu glass temple in the world.
Wholly decorated with glass in both exterior and interior, the building looks extremely stunning especially when it shines gracefully under the sunlight.
Don’t be confused by the statues of Jesus Christ and Gauthama Buddha inside, this is truly a Hindu temple in Johor Bahru.
10. Istana Bukit Serene Johor Bahru @ Laman Mahkota
Grab the golden chance to see Johor Sultan by visiting to his official residence located in Johor Bahru – Laman Mahkota.
Here, you’ll be greeted by the gigantic Sultan’s crown which displays high up in front of the palace.
There’s a huge garden inside which is often the gatherings places of Royals.
Entering the palace is prohibited but you can still take wonderful pictures of this majestic palace.
11. Sultan Abu Bakar State Mosque
Sultan Abu Bakar State Mosque is located on a hilltop and overlooks the wonderful Straits of Johor.
It combines the architecture of Victorian and Moorish, which took 8 years to complete its construction. Inside, the mosque can accommodates up to 2000 worshipers. Non-muslims are however prohibited from entering the mosque building.
12. City Square and Komtar JBCC Mall
As an addition to Johor Bahru’s ever expanding and improving work, play and shopping circuits, the City Center is an attraction in itself. There are multiple shopping areas for all types of products.
Shoppers from Singapore flock the city center daily in search of bargains and the great food and drink joints to cap a good day out of town. When you get to the city center, you will not miss the imposing KOMTAR JBCC Mall.
Opened as recently as November 2014, the mall is right next to the Johor Bahru City square.
- The Angry Birds Theme Park is located in the third floor of the shopping mall. It has great amusements for both adults and kids. It is open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- The mall has thousands of square feet for shopping space for avid shoppers
- There are fine restaurants as well as bars for great food and refreshments
- There are interesting events all through the week
- There are great exhibitions from time to time which allow a fantastic mix of work and play all within the same complex.
13. Johor Premium Outlets (A Must-Go Shopping Place)
This is a shopping mall complex that has a wide range of outlets for luxury and top brand products on offer. It gives an opportunity to day visitors from Singapore to experience the finest shopping available on the Johor side of the sea.
International brands like Timberland, Ralph Lauren, Nike, Coach, Versace, Salvatore Ferragamo and other leading brands are all represented at the Johor Premium Outlets.
- Shopping is the main attraction here. This is because this is the only true factory outlet for many brands in the Malaysian Peninsula and beyond.
- It is also a fine place for dining
- Great refreshment areas are aplenty for exhausted shoppers or for those on a break from browsing the numerous outlets in the mall.
14. Danga Bay
Just 7 kilometers from Johor Bahru’s city center, Danga Bay is a popular destination for travellers from Singapore. It is a waterfront community which offers its visitors a wide variety of activities.
You will have the choice of many high end shopping stores as well as fine restaurants. Everybody is welcome to Danga Bay as there are plenty of things to do for people of all ages and interests.
- Fine shopping from plenty of high end stores
- Exquisite dining from top restaurants
- Great night life
- Romantic getaway for couples looking to have a good time at the waterfront restaurants
- World-class hotels like the Tunes Hotel Danga Bay for the best accommodation
- Danga city Mall with its restaurants, shops and leisure activities
- The Danga park is a great place for children; there are activities there that are tailor made for your children’s enjoyment
- A cultural melting pot from all the diverse cultures present in this southern city
15. Johor Zoo (Family Trip)
Zoo Johor is one of the first zoos in all of Asia. It was built in 1928 and it is still in operation today. You will enjoy the Johor Zoo whether you will be alone, as a couple or as a family.
The zoo hosts a wide variety of animals including endangered species. Here, you will find lions, flamingoes, gorillas, elephants and much more.
- A wide variety of animals and birds to see as the zoo has over a hundred different species
- Clean and pleasant place to visit especially on a day trip with your children
- Nice places to relax and eat
- Animal shows for your enjoyment
- Low entrance fee of just RM3
- Safe viewing of dangerous animals
19 Things To Do in Johor For Singaporeans
Let’s unveil 19 interesting things that Singaporeans do when in Johor. Before travel to Johor Bahru from Singapore, make sure change your dollars to ringgit in Singapore, bring your passport and plan your transport to Johor Bahru (JB).
- Buy groceries at shoppng malls or store outlets
- Buy personal care items at Watsons
- Car wash, wax, polishing and detailing
- Buy baby diapers and powder
- Pump oil
- Eat Bak Kut Teh
- Have a seafood feast at Johor best seafood restaurant
- Indulge in Dim Sum, Chicken Up Johor Bahru and Anne’s Culture
- Buy cigarette
- Get all sorts of traditional Chinese or Malay medications
- Put on braces
- Making glasses or replace glassess
- Play paintball (More outdoor activties in Johor, click here: Outdoor Activities In Johor)
- Ride the Go-Kart
- Go for JB’s unique cafes such as The Factory 30 (JWC) etc
- Watch the latest movies in TGV, GSC or MBO cinema
- Satisfy our breakfast, lunch, tea break, dinner, supper cravings
- Get some traditional treatment like acupuncture, massage and spa for various ailments
- Find the best bargains at Night Market in JB (Pasar Malam)
Transport To Johor bahru (Private Car Is The BEST Option)
When on day trips to Johor from Singapore, you will need to have the affordable, reliable and punctual transport. The need to have good access to all of Johor Bahru’s attractions depends on how easily you find your way there and back.
Travelling by private taxi is the best option if you are in big group, family trip or company trip.
The popular private taxi company that will make your day trip to Johor Bahru a memorable one is SGMYTAXI. They have a top of the range fleet of 7-seaters which are comfortable and spacious for both passengers and goods.
Besides that, you are not required to get off from the vehicle to get passport stamp. Just sit back and relax in the vehicle. It is really convenient and hassle free to enjoy your day trip in Johor.
Their experienced driver will pick you up at any location in Singapore and drive you to reach your selected destination. Moreover, Their drivers know all the best routes for beating the traffic as well as getting to your destinations quickly and in comfort.
The only thing you need to do is by filling up the necessary travel info and submit the form online either to ask quotation or hired a private car service.